Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Places to Write

Some people need total or close to total silence in order to write. Location doesn’t really matter as long as it is quiet.


I am the opposite. For me location is everything. I can write on a crowded train or with music playing and not have a problem. But the setting has to be right to put me in the proper frame of mind.

Most of my writing takes place on my train ride home from work. The view of the Hudson River on one side and the Highlands on the other just makes me feel like I am in the world of my book.

Other favorite places are any of the historic mansions in the Hudson Valley. Those sweeping lawns and sprawling branches of the big trees just makes me want to reach for my laptop and start typing. Although at the mansions I’m not really there to write but rather spending time with my family. But I write in my head, which amounts to the same thing.

If anyone knows of some good places to write let me know. I’m always on the lookout for new settings.

No comments:

Post a Comment